Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Part 1: Political Paralysis by Danusha Veronica Goska


In “Political Paralysis”, author Danusha Veronica Goska discusses her life with Perilymph Fistula, a disease with similar symptoms to Multiple Sclerosis. At the beginning of the chapter, Danusha tells a story of when she was walking through the snow and symptoms of her disease began to impede her ability to walk properly. Danusha’s neighbor, a man that she rarely sees or speaks with, offered her a ride while driving by. Danusha speaks about the importance of doing little things for people. On page 48 she writes, “He didn’t hand me the thousands of dollars I needed for surgery. He didn’t take me in and empty my puke bucket. He just gave me one ride, one day. I am still grateful to him and touched by his gesture.” She goes on later to say that it’s important to do small favors even if people don’t notice them.

This relates to the Involvement and Impact section of the Guiding Vision document.  If we all do small favors for each other, everyone will be better off. We will be able to acknowledge the value inherent in community living. Supporting each other is important to surviving in college, and in this chapter Danusha expresses how even the smallest favor can have an impact.

I remember one day last year after I had two exams. I came back to my dorm room and was exhausted. A friend of mine came to say hello and noticed I hadn’t put away my clothes. My friend could tell I was exhausted, and the small 5-minute favor of helping me clean up my room helped me relax. I’m sure my friend doesn’t even remember helping me, but I remember it.

It’s important to remember as an RA that the little things matter. Giving little boosts of support actually make a difference to people, even if the people receiving the support don’t know it yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment